Launching New Dimensions of Service
On July 21, 2014, Dorothy Buckhanan Wilson of Milwaukee, Wisconsin was installed as the 2014 – 2018 International President of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. She is the 29th Alpha Kappa Alpha woman to hold this position. Buckhanan Wilson’s primary duties will be to develop and implement an outstanding and far-reaching service program, to guide policy, and to set the overall tone and theme for Alpha Kappa Alpha’s membership.
Under Buckhanan Wilson’s dynamic leadership, the 2014 – 2018 International Program will focus on the theme, “Launching New Dimensions of Service,” through which the sorority’s 265,000 members and 986 local chapters will address community needs via programs in traditional and new target areas. The 2014 – 2018 International Program consists of five target areas, one signature program, and specifically targeted community service days.
Community Impact Days
Alpha Kappa Alpha members will implement International Community Service Days annually to highlight the organization’s collective impact in program target areas:
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service (January)
- Pink Goes Red for Heart Health Day (February)
- 1908 Playgrounds Mobilization Day (May)
- The Longest Day™ Alzheimer’s Support Activities (June)
- Mental Health Awareness Day (July)
- Childhood Hunger Awareness Day (October)